A couple whose holiday in the Maldives was ruined by food poisoning have received more than £10,000 in compensation.
Scott and Leanne Beasant, from Pontypool, South Wales, were seriously ill after contracting salmonella poisoning at the Summer Island Village hotel.
They alleged that their room was unclean, the food not cooked properly and their toilet was not functioning as the water supply had been cut.
The couple had planned to spend their two-week holiday enjoying water sports such as canoeing and wind surfing, but the only time they were able to leave their room was when they went to hospital.
They were awarded over £10,000 in compensation after making a claim against travel company Cosmos upon their return to the UK.
Due to the illness, Mr Beasant was unable to sign a professional contract with a rugby team, while his wife couldn’t start IVF treatment as planned.
She said: “Our luxury holiday turned into our worst nightmare. It was supposed to be a dream get away but it was completely ruined and we were absolutely devastated.”
Mr Beasant’s dreams of playing rugby professionally were destroyed when he lost 9.5kg (1st 7lbs) in five days.
He said: “This case was about ensuring no-one else suffers the way we did.”
Thankfully, since the disruption to the original IVF treatment, the couple have had a child naturally.
Their solicitor, Elizabeth Tetzner, said: “I hope this serves as a warning to all tour operators.”
A spokesman for Cosmos Holidays confirmed the Beasants had received compensation, adding: “We have a health and safety policy in place which ensures that all accommodation featured by the tour operator meets health and safety standards set by each country’s government.”