A holiday camp is to pay a couple several thousand pounds in compensation after they contracted food poisoning while on holiday.
Richard Pickles and James Fairbrother went to Turkey in 2008 on a trip which cost them £800.
They fell ill several days before the end of the two week holiday with stomach problems. Mr Fairbrother was diagnosed with salmonella food poisoning and still suffers with diarrhoea and stomach pains.
After making a compensation claim, the couple have received a five-figure payout from Thomas Cook.
Mr Pickles, 28, said: “It was our first holiday together and I paid for it with money from when one of my grandparents died.
“I spent it because I wanted to create some good memories with it.
“We were both ill but James was worse.
“We will be pleased when we get the money but we’re glad we have settled.”
They stayed at a three-star hotel, called the Kervansaray, in Turkey’s Marmaris resort on an all inclusive deal.
The couple stated that they did not see the hotel doctor after Mr Fairbrother, 23, fell ill because they were warned of the potential cost by a Thomas Cook representative. As a result, Mr Fairbrother now suffers with irritable bowel syndrome.
He said: “The closer we got to coming home, the worse it was, especially landing at Manchester Airport and realising I was passing blood.
“My food poisoning lasted a couple of weeks but I’ve now got long-term problems.
“It has turned my life upside down.
“I can’t eat creamy things any more and used to really like curries and desserts.
“I am pleased we have got a pay-out but this should never have happened. I hope these big companies will think twice about where they send people.”
The injury solicitors who acted for the couple said: “Mr Fairbrother and Mr Pickles saw their dream first holiday together turn into a nightmare.
“This case sadly highlights just how serious cases of salmonella can be. In many cases of salmonella the illness can lead to long term health issues.”
A spokesman for Thomas Cook said: “It is always disappointing for anyone who becomes unwell while on holiday, and we take reports of any illness very seriously.
“We reviewed Mr Pickles and Mr Fairbrother’s circumstances and this matter has been settled with them.”