Supermarket Accident Claims
It's not difficult to see that you might fall over when a floor is slippery, wet, damaged or has obstructions on it. Supermarkets are one of the most likely places that you might have an accident of this type, and it does not just happen to the public, employees can get injured too. If you haave an accident and it is not your fault, you may be able to make a claim for accident compensation.
Call now on 0800 234 6438 or Claim Online
In a supermarket, there are many risks and hazards which are not present in other environments such as:
- Falling over obstacles such as boxes, goods in the aisle or protruding parts of the shelving
- Slipping on litter or wrappers
- Tripping on a damaged and uneven floor
- Slipping on a wet floor - if the floor is wet then there should be a "Wet Floor" sign to warn customers.
- Tripping over electrical cables - these should be tidy and should not be able to cause danger.
Who is responsible for Supermarket Accidents & Injuries?
It is the moral and legal duty of a supermarket to care for their customers and employees. When a customer enters the store, the management is responsible for their safety and may be liable if an accident happens which was the fault of the supermarket or its staff, or if there is a slip, trip or fall which could have been prevented. Hazards and risks have to be regularly assessed to ensure that any potential hazards are minimised.
If you think that your slip, trip or fall in a supermarket was caused by the negligence of the supermarket then it is very important that you contact a personal injury lawyer as quickly as possible. Your personal injury solicitor will be able to quickly tell you if you have a case for compensation.
Making a Supermarket Accident Claim
Remember that you should not feel awkward or guilty for making an accident claim - the accident was not your fault, and it is the responsibility of a supermarket to keep you safe while in their store or on their property. Whether your injury was a cut, bruise or more serious such as a head injury or an injury which has resulted in some form of disability, you should contact a personal injury lawyer. You have no idea how the injury will progress, and it is important to claim.
If your slip, trip or fall caused you an injury then you should follow the following advice:
- Report your accident as soon as it has happened. This would either be to the customer services desk if you were a customer, or through the accidents book if you are an employee. Make sure that it is logged and recorded
- Go to hospital or your GP to get medical attention. This will ensure that your injuries are recorded officially, and of course you will be able to get the medical help that you need.
- When you are able, gather evidence about the accident by taking photographs where possible. Also speak to any members of staff who helped you or were involved. Get witness statements.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer who will help you to claim where possible. It is often possible to make a "no win no fee" claim so that you will never be out of pocket. Your lawyer will inform you of the likelihood of success and how much you might be paid when you win your claim.
One thing that is important to remember is that it is not just you who will be helped by your claim. Hopefully, the safety procedures of the supermarket will also be improved and others will not have the same slip, trip or fall that you had.
Slip, Trip & Fall FAQs
Want free advice? Enter your details and we'll call you back!
Claims4Free Ltd is regulated by the Claims Management Regulator in respect of regulated claims management activities; registration number CRM 19143, recorded on the website www.gov.uk/moj/cmr