Bonfire Night and Firework Safety Survey: The Results

Friday, 9th November, 2012


You may remember a few weeks back, we hosted a survey on this site posing questions related to Bonfire Night and, more specifically, firework safety. We wanted to learn just how educated our site visitors are when it comes to handling fireworks correctly, and whether any had experienced an accident as a result of misuse.

As suspected, not everyone manages to get through the annual celebration unscathed. From our results it would also seem the UK population could benefit from brushing up on basic firework safety protocol.

Along with the results for each of our questions, we have also included a few explanations and tips to help you ensure you and your loved ones enjoy 2013’s event without coming to any harm.

Claims 4 Free survey results

Only 10% of our survey respondents hold private home firework displays each year.

This is probably a good thing considering that…

17% incorrectly contended lighting more than one firework at a time during home display is “perfectly safe”.

Only qualified, experienced pyrotechnics can light more than one firework at once, and even then only in a pre-approved and large, open space. It is not safe to light multiple fireworks at once during home displays.

 

Meanwhile, 53% of our survey respondents make the effort to attend a public fireworks display annually.

22% of people have – or knows someone who has – inadvertently set fire to something with a firework.

Always follow the instructions included with fireworks and do not light them in confined spaces. Always point them in a direction where nothing will interfere with their path.

Worryingly, almost a third – 30% – of those surveyed have – or know someone who has – been injured by a firework.

71% of cat and/or dog owners who took part in our survey said that their pet is scared by the noises created by fireworks.

This could help explain why just 8% knew of a pet that had been injured by a firework – they’re probably all too scared to go anywhere near them!

Do be sure to keep pets inside on Bonfire Night and during other events for which fireworks are likely (such as New Year’s Eve).

 

75% admitted to having absolutely no idea what safety marking they should look for when purchasing fireworks in the UK.

All fireworks marked with the British Standard BS7114have been checked for safety. Alternatively, the CE mark may be used to denote they are safe according to the Conformité Européenne.

Fireworks missing both of these markings are illegal, and as such should be safely destroyed (completely saturate such fireworks in water so ignition is not possible).

It is comforting, however, that 79% of our survey respondents correctly selected the right action when asked: “If a lit firework does not ignite and go off, what should you do?”

The safest thing to do in this situation is to keep everyone a safe distance away from the lighting area and wait for five minutes for the firework to go off. If it does not ignite after this time, you should completely douse the firework with water, ideally using a hosepipe so you can continue to stand a good distance away. Never attempt to relight a failed firework.

 

58% of those surveyed have held a sparkler while not wearing any gloves.

This is highly concerning considering the next fact.

33% of people surveyed wrongly answered ‘false’ when asked if three sparklers burning together are capable of generating heat equivalent to that of a blowtorch.

This may seem heard to believe but an average sparkler burns at a temperature 15 times hotter than boiling water. Always wear gloves.

 

Back to News Headlines