Can I claim if I am electrocuted at home?

A staggering 2.5 million people are electrocuted each year in the UK. Thankfully, only a small number of these accidents are fatal, but 350,000 people are left seriously injured following an electric shock. The majority of injuries caused by electrocution are burns, but electric shocks can also result in nerve damage. In addition, people can suffer injuries from a fall because of an electrocution.

Electricity in the home

While a number of the electrocutions occurring each year are work-related, many happen around the home. Electricity is inherently dangerous. Over 230 volts at a high current races through our plug sockets, which is more than enough to kill or cause serious injury to the average adult. Most people know that messing with electricity is dangerous, which is why it is recommended we hire electricians to take care of any electrical work in our homes, but accidents can still happen.

Liability

To understand if you can make a damages claim following an electrocution, you first need to ascertain if somebody else was liable. If you were electrocuted because you chose to rewire a plug yourself, change the light bulb without turning the power off at the socket or operated an electrical appliance with wet hands, you may not be able to make a claim against anybody else, as it was probably your actions that caused you to be electrocuted. However, if you received an electric shock through no fault of your own, you may be able to make a claim if somebody else was negligent.

Negligence

The rules have recently changed when it comes to working with electricity in the home. Only qualified electricians can undertake any electrical work, even in your own home. If somebody decides to do their own electrics, they could be liable for any accidents that occur, even after they sell the house. If somebody has made a mistake in your home’s electrics and you receive an electric shock, you have a good case for making a claim for damages. However, there are time limits for making such a claim, so you should contact a personal injury specialist as soon as possible after receiving an electrical shock.

 

Back to Common Questions